|Cemetery:||NEWARK-UPON-TRENT CEMETERY, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom|
|Q. C. "C." 34.
|Location:||Newark-upon-Trent is a market town 18.5 miles
north-east of Nottingham. The cemetery is on the London road about a
mile south of the railway station, near the town centre of Newark.
Approaching from the south, take the first exit signposted 'Balderton
and Newark. Follow this road through Balderton and over a railway
bridge. From this direction the cemetery is on the left hand side (after
Elm Avenue) and is clearly signposted. There is limited car parking just
inside the cemetery.
|Historical Information:||The cemetery contains war graves of both world wars. The 1914-1918 War burials number 49, and are in various situations all over the cemetery. After the war a Cross of Sacrifice was erected in the main drive in honour of these men. During the 1939-1945 War there were a number of R.A.F. stations within a few miles of Newark, and a special plot on the eastern side of the main drive was set aside for R.A.F. war burials. This is now the war graves plot. Several Polish squadrons operated from these air stations and a memorial cross to Polish airmen buried here was erected in the plot. This was unveiled in 1941-by President Raczkiewicz, ex-President of the Polish Republic and head of the war-time Polish Government in London, supported by General Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces and war time Polish Prime Minister. Both men subsequently died and are buried at the foot of the Polish Memorial. The 1939-1945 War burials total over 480 and all save ten of these graves are in the war graves plot. The United Kingdom and Commonwealth graves are marked by the traditional Commission headstones, while the Polish graves have headstones designed to harmonise with the others.|
Back to War Dead List