|Additional Information:||Son of Anthony Elgin Theaker and Gladys Annie Theaker, of Wilcox, Saskatchewan, Canada.|
B 24 GR8 KH410 crashed in Torstedlund Skov Forest 21/4 1945.
The aircraft belonged to RAF 206 Sqn. Coastal Command and was coded PQ-N.
T/O 20:48 Leuchars. OP: Anti shipping patrol in Kattegat.
The B 24 crashed at Torstedlund Skov Forest south of Aalborg at approximately 00:30-01:00 hours. The reason for the crash is not known to the author. Two of the crew were thrown clear of the wreck and were identified by their ID-cards as Lieutenant-Commander Nicodème Guilonard of the Royal Netherlands Navy and P/O George Henry Topcliff RAAF. The wreck and the rest of the crew were engulfed in a fire that lasted until the morning.
After the war several searches for the bodies of the crew was staged and it was by some believed that the bodies had been taken away on the truck. But not until 14/6 1947 was the grave found and the remains disinterred. In the grave was also found a number of incendiaries. The bodies were placed in coffins and taken to Forester Nielsen’s house where they were placed in a shack. After identification by the British armed forces the coffins were on 19/6 taken to Aarestrup cemetery and placed in the chapel.
The crew was: Pilot Lieutenant-Commander Nicodème Guilonard of the Royal Netherlands Navy, Second pilot F/O Anthony R.T. Smith, Navigator F/O Alan J. Harding, Navigator W/O G N. Topliff, W/op-Air Gnr. F/L Peter S.L. Laycock, W/op-Air Gnr. W/O William W. Spencer, W/op-Air Gnr. W/O Thomas K. Theaker, Air Gnr. W/O George C.K. Long, Air Gnr. W/O Kenneth Emery, W/Op. Mech./Air Gnr. F/S Frederick R. Orritt and Flt. Engr. P/O Windsor T. Gale.
On 4/8 1945 a memorial was erected on the crash site by the labours of Nørlund sawmill. This was made from a stone found locally and parts from the aircraft.
|Cemetery:||AARESTRUP CHURCHYARD, Denmark|
|Location:||Aarestrup is a small village in mid Jutland
some 25 kilometres south west of the port of Aalborg, and approximately
3 kilometres east of the E45 motorway from Randers to Aalborg. From the
south turn off the E45 at junction 33 to Haverslev and then turn right
onto the local road signposted to Aarestrup. Proceed back under the
motorway to the village, and on entering the village the large white
painted church can be seen on the left. From the gate at the entrance to
the churchyard the war graves plot can be seen some 15 metres away on
the left hand side.
|Historical Information:||AARESTRUP CHURCHYARD (Index No. Den. 4) Aarestrup is a small village of Jutland some 24 kilometres south-south-west of the port of Aalborg, which is connected by steamship services with Great Britain. The village is about 5 kilometres west of the main road (No. 10) between Aalborg and the port of Aarhus on the east coast of Jutland. The church can be seen on entering the village and in the churchyard are the graves of 6 airmen of the R A.F. 1 of the R.N.Z.A.F., 2 of the R C.A.F and 1 of the R.A.A.F. besides one officer of the Royal Netherlands Navy.|
Back to War Dead List